Sunday, April 19, 2009

something's dreadfully wrong

Tonight I am the only one awake in the house ... maybe in the world. The wind murmurs sotto voce down the chimney and wuthers against the windows. I have no sleeping pill stronger than the pain.

Each day this week has been more difficult to manage, to soldier through. Each day I can walk fewer steps. Today I can hardly walk through the kitchen or stand at my desk. My right hip feels as though it wants to rip out of its socket. My doctor, by acclamation the most brilliant orthopedic specialist in the Midwest, does not want to see me. She scheduled my next appointment three months on. Is there anyone who can help me? Please please help me.

..... 

As I type these words, Polly the dog and Lucy the cat have roused themselves from sleep and padded into the room. They are sitting near me, looking at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment