Sunday, March 15, 2009

From running shoes to crutches

This is who I once was: strong, slender, limber, pretty, free to run across a street, to duck beneath a low railing and climb into our seats at a movie theater, knowing that B. and the other moviegoers watched with admiration. With a cup of coffee and a good night's sleep, I could think of snappy answers and elegant solutions to the problems of my corporate clients. 

  Who I once was: The longer I walked, the stronger I felt. 
  Who I am now. The longer I walk, the worse the pain becomes. I fear that I'm re-injuring myself every day. But when B. takes Polly out for a walk, I always volunteer to go along. I thump and swing along on my lobster-claw crutches, thump-click-swing, thump-click-swing, trying to keep the weight off of my right hip, and I have to stop and turn back at the alley.


No comments:

Post a Comment